The Children’s Center serves children of Evergreen students, staff and faculty. Three primary forms, joined by a central circulations spine, create distinct zones for infants, toddlers and preschoolers each with a direct connection south to the outdoor play. Creating an environmentally sustainable facility was high on the list of priorities expressed by the college.
- The building form, and the high clerestory windows, allow for passive cooling with natural ventilation.
- Natural light is provided with large south windows and north clerestories.
- Canopy roofs at the south windows allow solar heat during the winter but provide shade during the cooling season.
- Translucent panels in the canopy allow light year round.
- Zero stormwater runoff from the site.
- Recycled content and low-VOC building materials.
- Client: The Evergreen State College
- Location: Olympia, Washington
- Year of Completion: 2004
- Project Size: 6,500 square feet
- Type: Childcare Center